No pressure to resume stadium demolition after incident.
A Mortenson Construction executive said Wednesday that there’s no pressure to resume Metrodome demolition until investigators figure out exactly what went wrong when a ring beam fell out of sequence during demolition activities earlier this week.
Mortenson put demolition on hold Monday after a ring beam on the building’s northeast section fell out of sequence. After indicating Tuesday that work could resume by the end of the week, Mortenson is now backing off that timeline.
“I don’t want to put pressure on anybody to resume work,” Allen Troshinsky, director of operations for Mortenson’s sports group, said after Wednesday’s meeting of the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority.
Demolition started in January and is scheduled for completion in April. Mortenson is the project’s construction manager and Little Canada-based Frattalone Cos. is the demolition subcontractor.
Troshinsky said investigators are still looking into what caused the ring beam to fall out of sequence, and that the project team wants to raise everyone’s “comfort level” before continuing with demolition. “Once we are completely satisfied that we understand the events of Monday afternoon and are assured that we won’t have other surprises along the way going forward, we will resume work,” he added.
Read more here: