Video – Blowtorch blamed as fire engulfs Sydney site…

Exploding gas bottles force evacuation of site.

An explosive fire that sent “fireballs” flying and plumes of toxic black smoke into the sky was caused by a worker’s blowtorch, which caused gas bottles to explode and forced the evacuation of the site.

The Circular Quay inferno, which sent plumes of toxic black smoke and caused “fireballs” to fall from the sky, raged through a 10-storey building on a demolition site at about 8.45am. Fire & Rescue NSW extinguished the fire just before 12pm, but it still caused huge delays all day for commuters.

Now, fire investigators have tracked the cause of the blaze to one of the construction workers’ oxyacetylene blowtorches, according to a Fire and Rescue NSW spokesman.

Read more here, or view the video below: