Chinese demolition fail…

Video shows failed implosion that leaves one tower standing.

A video has emerged that purports to show a failed implosion in China that apparently took place yesterday. However, aside from the video itself, we have so far been unable to find any more information on this latest stand-up. The resulting failure has been dubbed the “Leaning Tower of Liuzhou”

Automotive parts manufacturing plant demolished…

Former Collins & Aikman plant demolition underway in New Hampshire

Demolition crews from Danley Demolition of Fremont have started taking down the 240,000-square-foot facility. They will be active through the winter taking the facility apart in sections. According to Ed Moran, the trustee of the N.H. Custodial Trust that manages the property, after a year of marketing the plant and finding one or two potential tenants who eventually decided against moving into the facility because of the economy, the state is washing its hands of the structure.

It was too costly to keep the facility intact, Moran said. The building not only had to be secured, but also was kept heated because of an extensive sprinkler system inside, he said. The roof, which was “never in good shape,” has also gotten worse and would cost more than $1 million to repair, Moran said.

Read more here.

Champlain Bridge clean up begins…

Cold weather and ice hampers Champlain Bridge clean-up operation.

Crews started pulling chunks of the Champlain Bridge out of Lake Champlain Tuesday. It’s a process that will take months and spectators are lining up to see the cleanup.

Crews have begun the long and tedious process of removing all the debris from the lake, a process that’s expected to take at least four months.

“It’s definitely a big challenge with the ice and the weather,” said Greg Ball, of Harrison & Burrowes Construction. “Obviously today the wind is blowing 30 to 40 miles an hour and gusts of snow.”

Six barges, 45 people, and about 30 pieces of machinery will be used to complete the work. Most all of the pieces will have to be cut up before they’re removed, including the debris underwater.

Read more here.

Galesburg bidding process to be reviewed…

Illinois city to conduct comprehensive review following bidding irregularities.

Mayor Sal Garza said he plans to conduct a “comprehensive review” of the city’s neighborhood improvement office after residents and contractors complained to City Council members about the bidding process for projects to demolish properties, with allegations that some contractors may have gained an unfair advantage by failing to follow state statutes.

The city’s neighborhood improvement supervisor, Dedra Mannon, who was in charge of inspecting properties that may have code violations, has moved to become the city’s human services coordinator.

Garza would not confirm nor deny if Mannon was going to switch jobs, saying he was not authorized to speak about personnel matters, but City Manager Dane Bragg confirmed she had switched positions, although a formal announcement has yet to be made.

Read the full story here.

Executive Inn tower to topple…

High reach excavator will down Executive Inn south tower.

The changing skyline of Evansville continues today when another section of the old Executive Inn comes crashing down.

Demolition crews with the Klenck Company in Evansville spent Tuesday going back over the site to make sure it’s safe for demolition.

They have also set up a 35 metre perimeter safety zone around the site protect drivers during the demolition. Instead of demolishing the whole tower at once, crews will use an ultra high demolition excavator to carefully remove the upper stories first.

Read more here.

Texas Stadium could see cheesy demolition…

Cloak of secrecy lifted as Kraft Foods is revealed as potential implosion sponsor.

Texas Stadium may be saying cheese for its final close-up next year – macaroni and cheese, that is – after Kraft Foods was revealed as the front-runner to sponsor the arena’s implosion in March.

“We’re very proud to form a partnership with such a widely recognized and appreciated brand,” Irving Mayor Herbert Gears said Tuesday. “We wanted to make sure that the world got to experience the demolition of such a historic facility.”

The Irving City Council will vote on the contract with Kraft’s marketing representative, Hunter Public Relations, at a special meeting at 3:15 p.m. Thursday. The resolution is the only item on the agenda.

Read the full story here.

Radioactive house to be razed…

An Australian waterfront home contaminated with Uranium is to be demolished.

Plans to clean up the site of a former uranium smelter in Hunters Hill in New South Wales mean a four-storey waterfront mansion the NSW Government has repeatedly declared safe will be demolished.

In addition, 3000 cubic metres of radioactive earth will be dug out of two neighbouring properties and another 500 cubic metres are likely to be scraped from the harbour floor in front of the site at 11 Nelson Parade, subject to more tests by the Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation.

A secretive tendering process for removing the earth, in which bidders were forbidden from visiting the site or talking to neighbours, is under way. No environmental assessment or planning approval has been granted yet. The Herald understands the tests show elevated background radiation levels that in some cases exceed health guidelines, reinforcing results from independent tests last year by a private company, Australian Radiation Services. These showed that in some spots contamination was 350 times normal levels.

Full story here.

Clauss Construction nets $10 million contract…

Californian contractor wins decontamination and demolition contract.

The Department of Energy’s Argonne National Laboratory recently awarded a $10 million contract to a veteran-owned small business using funds from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).

Clauss Construction, a California-based company, has been tapped to decontaminate and demolish Argonne’s Building 330, the former site of Chicago Pile-5. CP-5 was the fifth and last member of the distinguished family of “Chicago Pile” reactors, whose legacy ranges from the earliest efforts to develop nuclear reactors to current research aimed at retiring them safely.

The decontamination and demolition project, which is currently underway, will be completed in 12 to 14 months. The contract is the largest awarded by Argonne using ARRA money. After the work is completed, the land will be restored to native vegetation.

Read more here.

Former bomb plant gets better of contractor…

Cold War building winning battle against contractors.

Demolition of a Cold War bomb plant in Oak Ridge is proving difficult, and the Department of Energy doesn’t plan to extend the current contract.

Bechtel Jacob Co. and its subcontractors have taken down most of one wing of the huge, U-shaped K-25 building, but another wing and the north tower remain. The department modified and extended the contract last year, allowing more time to complete tearing down the mile-long contaminated structure. The contract is valued at $1.48 billion.

Accomplishing the task proved more difficult than expected. The department, Bechtel Jacobs and environmental regulators are still trying to determine the best way to safely take down the rest of the World War II-era plant.

Read more here.

Demolition nears for Canadian mill…

Demolition of Saskatchewan pulp mill could start early in New Year.

Paper manufacturer Domtar is planning to demolish its dormant pulp mill in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan, Canada, according to an online report from the Saskatchewan News Network.

According to the report, a Domtar news release was issued in late December that says the Montreal-based company plans to “continue to remove machinery and equipment from the site and (would) take steps to engage the services of demolition contractors and file for a demolition permit.”

The demolition work could start in early 2010, says the report.

Read the full story here.